Friday 5 October 2012

Science vs. Motherhood

This is the story of me - I don't promise any inspiring, thoughtful posts about the glories of either science or motherhood. I am currently living life in the fast lane and I want to be able to look back at these years and read over my journey.

A friend the other day asked me and a group of mummy friends to write where they are right now in 5 sentences or less. My reply to her was different to here as she knows pretty much where I have come from but I will do this more generally as an introduction as to where I am right now and why I am here.

1. I am first and foremost a mother to two beautiful girls (3 years, 2 months and almost 14 months old), a wife to my first real boyfriend who is my best friend and has been for the past 15 years, and "owner" of two beautiful dogs who were very spoilt and have had life change a lot for them in the past 3 years and 2 months!).

2. I am secondly but sometimes overwhelming a part-time scientist. I love my job, it is an amazing privilege to go to work and feel that what you are doing can really make a difference in the world. I struggle with finding the balance - it is difficult to job share when your brain is the primary instrument used in your work.

3. We live in a small country town and have an amazing group of friends, who we barely see given the working/small children treadmill that we are currently on but we are blessed nevertheless.

4. I live a long way from my family which is tough - I have a large extended and convoluted family which seems to work remarkably well.

5. I think this week marks 12 months since I made a commitment to myself to get fit and healthy and reach my goal weight, I have been doing this primarily with weight watchers but I joined Michelle Bridges 12 week body transformation 6 weeks ago and this has really spurred me on after stagnating for a few months beforehand.

I have a lot to say - anyone who knows me knows I can talk under water, but I am actually a very private person, I am hoping this will be my story, the truth and nothing but the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment